A little more about the different methods of Natural Family Planning:
The Ovulation Method
The Ovulation Methods is a simple but highly effective way to precisely identify the days of fertility during the menstrual cycle. Cervical mucus appears as a normal discharge around the time of ovulation and is essential to human fertility. Dryness, the absence of mucus, identifies the days of infertility. Through the Ovulation Method instruction, a woman learns to become aware of the presence or absence of mucus as a part of her daily routine. With this information, the couple knows day by day whether or not they are fertile. Together they share the important decision-making process to achieve or avoid pregnancy.
The Ovulation Method can be successfully for couples if the woman has regular or irregular cycles. If a woman is not ovulating due to breast feeding, discontinuing the contraceptive pill, or for some health condition, infertility can be confidently identified. During the transitional years leading to menopause, couples can also confidently recognize fertility and infertility.
- The presence of mucus indicates the days of fertility. Intercourse on days of fertility is a highly effective means for a couple to achieve pregnancy. The Ovulation Method can be of great help even for couples who have had difficulty becoming pregnant.
- The absence of mucus, or dryness, indicates days of infertility. Extensive research has demonstrated that intercourse on days of infertility will not result in pregnancy.
- Couples learn and successfully use the Ovulation Method under the guidance of professional Natural Family Planning practitioners.
- visit www.tcnfp.org for more information
The Sympto-Thermal Method
A woman has several signs of fertility and infertility. The Sympto-Thermal Method is based primarily on two observations of these signs - changes in the cervical mucus and changes in the waking temperature, or the basal body temperature. Changes in the cervix may also be observed as a means of cross checking the other signs.
In the Sympto-Thermal Method course, couples learn to observe, record, and interpret these signs. They can also use them individually as a mucus-only or temperature-only system. By cross checking these signs, couples see how the signs complement and reinforce each other, giving them more confidence in learning and using the method.
- In the Sympto-Thermal Method, the couple will learn about breastfeeding and its many benefits for both mother and baby. They will also learn about "ecological breastfeeding", which can postpone the return of fertility.
- A high effectiveness rate is maintained in all types of cycles: regular or irregular, long or short cycles; during breastfeeding or pre-menopause. Help is also offered to couples having difficulty achieving pregnancy.
- Acknowledging that fertility is couple fertility, the Sympto-Thermal Method encourages participation by both spouses in observing and recording the woman's day-to-day picture of fertility.
- visit www.ccli.org for more information