Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Wednesday, February 6, 2013


Daily Readings:
Heb 12:4-7, 11-15; Ps 103:1-2, 13-14, 17-18a; Mk 6:1-6

Reflection:  In the midst of tragedy and struggles in our life, and in society, we tend to turn to one another and ask “where is God?  How could God let this happen?”  The letter to the Hebrews reminds us that those trials and struggles should comfort us and remind us that God loves us and is trying to guide us back to Himself.  While it is painful at the time, many who come through those trials point to those experiences as a turning point in their faith life.  As we are reminded in the Gospel, without faith in God we will not be healed.  Embrace God’s discipline, turn from your sins, and follow God home to heaven.

Reflection for kids:  Because God loves us, sometimes He puts challenges in our lives to help us turn and follow Him instead of just doing what we want.

Big Picture:  Find God in your trials

Discussion Starters:
     Younger saints:
  Do you break the rules sometimes and receive a punishment for your behavior?  Just like our parents set rules for us and expect us to follow them, God has set rules for us too.  What are God’s rules called?  (The Ten Commandments.)  What is it called when we break God’s rules?  (Sin.) 
     Older saints:  Do you sometimes struggle with seeing God and finding God in your trials and tribulations?  In those times do you turn from God or do you turn to God for help?  How do the results vary between the times you turned to God for help and forgiveness, and when you turned from Him and tried to do it on your own?

Fun Fact:  God is all-present.  He is always there to help us and protect us, even though we can’t see Him (St. Joseph’s Baltimore Catechism No. 1, 2008, p. 17).

Saint of the day: 
     Name:
 Saint Paul Miki and companions
     What they are remembered for:  St. Paul Miki and his companions were martyred for their faith during the persecution of Catholic in Nagasaki, Japan.  St. Paul Miki is quoted as saying these words from the cross at his execution:  “The sentence of judgment says these men came to Japan from the Philippines, but I did not come from any other country. I am a true Japanese. The only reason for my being killed is that I have taught the doctrine of Christ. I certainly did teach the doctrine of Christ. I thank God it is for this reason I die. I believe that I am telling only the truth before I die. I know you believe me and I want to say to you all once again: Ask Christ to help you to become happy. I obey Christ. After Christ’s example I forgive my persecutors. I do not hate them. I ask God to have pity on all, and I hope my blood will fall on my fellow men as a fruitful rain.”
     Feast day:  February 6
Daily Notes: 

No comments:

Post a Comment